Saturday, January 27, 2007

New Hope at Iron Mountain. Possible connection?

In my continuing efforts to learn about the origins of Baptist work in East Texas, I spent a little time today looking at old minutes at Southwestern Seminary in Fort Worth. The time was far too brief, and not too many of the oldest minutes are available.

In the 1856 minutes of the Soda Lake Baptist Association, I found mention of a New Hope church at Iron Mountain post office, Rusk County, Texas. I thinking there is a possible connection to Mt. Carmel?

Here's what I know:

Iron Mountain post office -- puts it in the same vicinity of Rusk County as Mt. Carmel.

Delegates -- B. F. Stamps, A. S. Meckeborough, H. King
Britton F. Stamps attended the formation of the Mt. Zion Association the next year (1857) as a delegate from the Mt. Carmel church. I believe A. S. Meckeborough (sic) was the brother of Mary Ann Mickleborough/Micklebrough, wife of William Howerton. William and Mary Ann were both members of Mt. Carmel church. I will need to check censuses, etc. for H. King. I don't think this name is associated with Mt. Carmel, but the surname "King" is found in the general area.

Pastor -- M. M. Wallace, who seems to pastor awhile in Rusk and Nacogdoches counties and possibly move on elsewhere (Polk County area possibly)

50 members in 1856


That's about it. Not much. I need to find more information to make this tie (if it really exists). Southwestern also has an 1854 minute book of Soda Lake Association, but New Hope was not listed in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home