About all the Baptist Churches in Rusk County, Texas
Wednesday, December 28, 2016
Howerton and Perkins update
Updating and correcting information in Mt. Carmel Church Connections. Simeon Perkins did not die in 1866. Celia A. Howerton and Simeon Perkins were in Rusk County in the 1870 census, and had moved to Comanche County, Texas before 1880. They are buried at the Lockney Cemetery in Floyd County, Texas. According to the 1900 census, they had no children. Elizabeth Howerton (1844-1914), daughter of William and Mary Howerton, full name is Miriam Elizabeth Howerton. She married James Bailey Lacy, Sr on January 14, 1869 in Rusk County, Texas. They are buried in the Lacy Cemetery, Comanche County, Texas. According to her tombstone Mary Mickelborough Howerton died in 1895 rather than 1896. She seems to have moved from Rusk County with her daughter Miriam Elizabeth Lacy. She is buried in the same cemetery as her daughter and son-in-law, Lacy Cemetery in Comanche County, Texas. Mary's middle name may not be "Ann". Her tombstone has "Mary C."
A. S. Mickelborough, mentioned in the 1856 Soda Lake Baptist Association minutes, is Mary Howerton's brother Adial S. Mickelborough. According to Laurie Wimberly's family tree, he died June 6, 1862 in Rusk County, Texas. His burial location is unknown. In 1861 Adial S. Mickelborough married Julia Neighbors. Julia is, apparently, a widow, Julia A. Gill who married Thomas J. Neighbors in 1852 in Calhoun County, Alabama. She was born about 1837 in South Carolina, sister of Able and James Gill. Her father's name is unknown; her mother's name is Zany, maiden name unknown but later married a Thompson.
Excerpt from William "Choctaw Bill" Robinson by D. D. Tidwell William Robinson (1809 – 1898) “William Robinson was born in North Carolina January 11, 1809, the son of Wallace Robinson and his wife, Rebecca Bishop. Prior to his fifteenth birthday the family moved to Alabama. On April 16, 1828 he married Julia Lucinda Fulford in Marengo County, Alabama, and they had eight children, all born in Alabama except the last two. After the death of his first wife he married Irena Isabel Brent in Hinds County, Mississippi, on November 15, 1846. They had six children, one of whom (Rev. O. B. Robinson) was a Baptist minister. “About 1842 William Robinson moved to Louisiana and a son states that he owned 100 slaves about this time. In 1848 he moved to Rusk County, Texas, and by 1854 he was a resident of Johnson County. Soon after moving to Texas, William Robinson became a Baptist minister. Information as to his licensing and ordination is lacking although it may have been by the original Henderson Baptist Church. In 1851 he and Rev. Obadiah Dodson held a revival at Mount Enterprise and formed the Holly Springs Baptist Church.” * Holly Springs was at Pine Hill rather than Mt. Enterprise (though it may have shown up with a Mt. Enterprise address in some records). When we were at Burleson, we saw the Bethesda Baptist church building and cemetery. Bethesda was organized by Robinson in 1855. He is buried in Comanche County.
Services for Rev. L. L. Pruitt, 94, of Henderson, will be held Tuesday, July 9, 1991 2 p.m. at West Main Baptist Church with the Revs. Kenneth Stone, Duane Pringle and Raymond Bugg officiating. Interment will be in Long (sic) Star Cemetery, Nacogdoches, under the direction of Bryan Funeral Home. Rev. Pruitt died Sunday, July 7, 1991, at 8:35 in a Henderson nursing home after a lengthy illness. He was born Sept. 5, 1896 in Laneville. He attended Jacksonville Baptist College, was a member and 65-year minister of Baptist churches. Rev. Pruitt founded the West Main Baptist Church and pastored there for 12 years. He also pastored churches in Texas and Louisiana for 55 years. He is preceded in death by his wife Maggie Pruitt, who died Aug. 23, 1980. They were married for 60 years. Excerpt from Henderson Daily News, July 8, 1991 * West Main Baptist Church was organized circa 1945
According to its historical marker, First Baptist Church in Henderson:
Begun in 1845 by the Rev. Lemuel Herrin (d. 1852), pioneer missionary Baptist minister from Tennessee, this church was reorganized in 1850 by Elders John B. Renfro and J. O. Walker, and the Rev. Jesse Witt, who served as the first pastor. Total membership in 1850 was 21. In its early years, the fellowship shared a meeting place with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The present church building was dedicated April 25, 1954. At least three other congregations have been sponsored by this one. The membership has grown steadily in recent years to the current (1976) total of over 1800.
The Old Prospect Baptist Church, meeting on County Road 3197, about 5 miles south of Mt. Enterprise, will celebrate its fortieth anniversary on Sunday October 5, 2014. Morning services will start at 10 a.m., with dinner on the grounds following. Afternoon services will resume about 1:15 p.m. The church was constituted on October 6, 1974 when 44 members of Landmark Missionary Baptist Church of Mt. Enterprise called for their letters and went into an organization. All current and former members are urged to attend, as well as their families and friends. Everybody welcome. Directions to the meeting location may be found HERE.