Monday, October 30, 2006

Devereux's will mentions a Baptist Church

Julien Sidney Devereux was a wealthy landowner in southern Rusk County. He built the Monte Verdi plantation. His will mentions "the Baptist Church in the neighborhood of the town of Anadarco..." This might possibly be the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church. I have not seen the original will. The excerpts are from a copy in the "Glenfawn Cemetery" vertical file at the Rusk County Library in Henderson, Texas.

Excerpt from Will of Julien Devereux
Dated 7th day of May, A.D. 1852
:
"I, Julien Sidney Devereux of the County of Rusk and State of Texas, being of sound mind do make this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all others. 1st: It is my will that after my decease my remains be interred in a suitable and Christian like manner in the burying adjacent to the Baptist Church in the neighborhood of the town of Anadarco; a tomb of stone or brick to be erected over my remains with a suitable head piece of stone on which to be engraved the date of my birth and death."

CODICIL - dated on the 27th day of April, A.D. 1854:
(Excerpt)
"I Julien Sidney Devereux of the County of Rusk and State of Texas, do make, ordain, publish and declare this to be the codicil to the last will and testament by me made and published on the 7th day of May, 1852, in manner and form as follows, to-wit: ....
"11. I hereby revoke the portion of the first clause of my said will which directs my remains to be interred in the burying ground adjacent to the Baptist Church etc. and it is my will and desire that my beloved wife, Sarah Ann, select a suitable place for the deposit of my remains --- that she have the bodies of my beloved father and little son removed thither..."


What all this means we do not presently know, except that there was a Baptist Church with adjacent burying ground existing in 1852 in what is now known as the Glenfawn/Anadarco area of southern Rusk County.

* Note: Anadarco, or Anadarko, receives its name from a tribe of southwestern Caddo Indians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home