Saturday, August 02, 2008

Extinct churches P-Z

Pecan Grove was located near the Rusk and Nacogdoches County line, south of Sulphur Springs. I think it probably was in Nacogdoches County. Earlier there was a Hopewell Church in this vicinity, and probably also in Nacogdoches County.

Rhodes, possibly also known as Rhode's Chapel, met somewhere in the Shiloh area. Mentioned as late as the 1951 Mt. Zion Association minutes. After the BGCT and BMAT divided in 1900, the Shiloh Church divided into Missionary Baptist and Southern Baptist Churches. According to 50 Years in East Texas Pulpits by J. W. Griffith, a group met in the Rhodes School House (and later built a church house) north of Shiloh, and was a more progressive element of Missionary Baptists that left the old missionary Baptist division of Shiloh church.

Shawnee Village Missionary Baptist Church was organized as Stone Heights MBC after the ABA/BMA division of 1950. This group organized in 1952 with J. M. Stringer as missionary pastor, and met in the Stone Heights subdivision until building at 1714 US 79 South in Henderson circa 1964. El Cordero de Dios Church, an Hispanic Church related to the Southern Baptists, now meets in this building.

Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church -- off SH 315 in the Shiloh Community. Some who remember it say the building was at the intersection of crossroads, and the Southern Baptists had the building in front of the main gate. The present Shiloh Southern Baptist Church counts its organization to 1902, so evidently the Missionary Baptists were in the majority when the church divided. Tradition says a Baptist Church existed at Shiloh as far back as the 1840s, and it can be found in minutes of the Judson Association at least as early as 1856. In 1857 Shiloh was in the organization of the Mt. Zion Association. The Shiloh Cemetery dates in origin back to 1853.

Sweetgum MBC met in the Sweetgum Community, probably in the same building that was a school house. Link to online info about Sweetgum, click HERE.

Valley Grove near, possibly south of, the Sulphur Springs Community.


Post a Comment

<< Home