Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Extinct churches M-O

Missionary Springs -- see Mission Springs; meets southeast of Henderson on FM 840.

Mt. Enon -- see Gum Springs; Mt. Enon was apparently the earlier name of the church that came to be known as Gum Springs, now located a few miles north of US Hwy 79 on Hwy 42.

Mt. Hope/Pine Springs -- see Roquemore; churches in this area known as Mt. Hope and Pine Springs are believed to be forerunners of the present Roquemore Missionary Baptist Church, though there is some question as to whether the earlier churches were Missionary or Primitive. Possibly met in the area of Hunt Cemetery.

Mt. Pisgah -- see Arlam, Garrison; the present Arlam Baptist Church was originally organized under the name Mt. Pisgah. According to Arlam's historical marker the Mt. Pisgah congregation began meeting in the Pine Flat schoolhouse (Nacogdoches County) in August 1897 and moved to a schoolhouse in Arlam (Rusk County) in 1898. Name changed circa 1951.

Mt. Carmel -- click link for the history of Mt. Carmel Church in south Rusk County.

Mt. Moriah was an original member of the Mt. Zion Association and evidently met somewhere near San Cosma/Laneville. In 1857 it was represented at the organization by M. M. Buckner, R. F. Galloway, and John Deason. Deason was listed as a licentiate minister with post office at Minden, TX. The church ceased to exist some time after the Civil War.

Mt. Zion was one of the older churches in Rusk County, located east of Mt. Enterprise where the Campground Cemetery is located. The building is supposed have been located in what would be inside the present cemetery fence. They evidently ceased to meet sometime between 1882 and 1889. In 1889 Allen Birdwell and Isaac Lawler offered the building to the Mt. Zion Association as a permanent meeting place, but the association declined. The Mt. Zion Baptist Association was organized here in 1857. Considering the Birdwell family's connection with this church, and their penchant for organizing churches in Alabama under the name Enon, an earlier Enon Baptist Church (Sabine Baptist Association) in this area may have been a forerunner of Mt. Zion.

Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church met in the Oak Grove Community south of Caledonia. The building was a short way down what is now County Road 3280. The building was on the right near the 90 degree curve. What's left of the cemetery is across the road.

New Hope -- south Rusk County; this church is listed in the 1856 minutes of the Soda Lake Baptist Association, and was located in the same general area as Mt. Carmel Baptist Church.

New Mt. Sinai -- somewhere in the Caledonia area of southeast Rusk county. May have been a forerunner of Mt. Zion/Oak Grove above. According to W. T. Parmer in Seventy-Five Years in Nacogdoches, the New Mt. Sinai Baptist Church was organized in the early 1870s under the leadership of William M. Gaddy and support of J.D. Smith. (p. 175)

Friday, July 04, 2008

Extinct churches H-L

Harmony Hill -- there was a Primitive Baptist Church at Harmony Hill, near present-day Tatum. A Harmony Hill (missionary) Baptist Church is in the Mt. Zion Association in 1896. The only church presently in this community (that I am aware of) is the Friendship BC, a black missionary Baptist church.

Hepsaba -- a church by this name joined the Sabine Baptist Association in the fall of 1847. The location and continued existence of this church is unknown. The post office given in the Sabine minutes is Henderson. The delegates were S. Grigsby and J. L. P. Meredith – probably Solomon Martin Grigsby and James Little Page Meredith. Grigsby was appointed postmaster of San Cosme in 1849, which the Handbook of Texas identifies as about eleven miles southwest of Henderson. Hepsaba was not represented in 1848 or 1849.

Hickey/Gateway -- named after the community, possibly organized in the early 1900s; this church affiliated with the Rusk-Panola Association until around 1975 when they called Sam Glover and united with the Mt. Zion Association. The church name was changed to Gateway circa 1982 during the pastorate of Keith Cowee. The church may have reaffiliated with Rusk-Panola and returned to the name Hickey after the departure of Pastor Cowee (I have no record of these events and the memory is foggy). The building is now a business on US 79 S in the Hickey Community.

Hispanic Baptist/Iglesia Bautista (exact given name unknown) -- sometime after the Hickey Church disbanded, a Spanish speaking group met for a time in the old Hickey BC building.

Holly Springs still exists, but now under the name Pine Hill Baptist Church.

Isabel Chapel -- in the Sand Hill Community of southern Rusk County; mentioned as late as in 1951 in Mt. Zion BA; later in Landmark Association of Nacogdoches County. The building is still standing and is used for the annual cemetery homecoming.

Liberty -- located at 1817 US 79 S Henderson; see Grace in Extinct Churches E-G

Locklin -- is a church mentioned in the Smyrna Baptist Church minutes as a church with whom she regularly exchanged visiting brethren in her early years. (Minutes & Centennial + 5: History of the Smyrna Baptist Church of Rusk County, Texas, p. 8)