Monday, September 25, 2006

About me

I am a Baptist preacher who lives near Mt. Enterprise, Texas. Ordained in 1983, I am a “tent-making” minister, and work in the education industry. In addition to family, church, and work, I am active in Sacred Harp singing and write songs in this style. I am the former editor of a Baptist newsletter styled The Baptist Waymark.

Two important mentors to me were Louis Asher and J. W. Griffith, both of whom were once my pastors. They were historians and seminary professors who did much to nurture my predisposition toward things historical. Though I rejected the seminary path as outside the pale of New Testament orthopraxy, I hold them in very high esteem as men, preachers, teachers, and historians. Above all, in the flesh, I honor my father as the great influence in my life.

PUBLICATIONS
• Minutes of the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church, Rusk County, Texas: Oct 1868–Nov 1871, 2006
• Approaching 150: a Brief History of the East Texas Musical Convention, 2005

CONTACT
rl_vaughn -AT- yahoo.com

PURPOSE
The purpose of this blog is to post the history of the Mount Carmel Baptist Church, and history about Baptists in Rusk County, Texas. Announcements and such like may creep in from time to time.

(If you wish to know more, please contact me by e-mail.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home